Thursday, December 8, 2011

6 DAYS PRE-SURGERY

So there is only 6 days left!! and i seriously cannot believe how quick it has come, I went on a holiday last week and that definitely helped get my mind off of it, although this week it is all i can think about, i feel like i need to know everything, and that i don't know enough. But i have less then a week to get on top of it ;). So this week so far has been jam packed with appointments, starting on Tuesday with X-rays which is pretty straight forward.

Then yesterday, Wednesday, and I got my surgical hooks put on. I must say they are incredibly annoying i feel like i have food in my braces and makes my mouth feel weird so i don't close my mouth properly causing me to drool quite a bit more than usual, its a bit embarrassing. My teeth are a little sore but my teeth are pretty sensitive, it just feels like they were tightened. I'm going to start using wax to hep that though.

Today i had my last pre-op appointment with my surgeon, and he just answered my questions, showed me the molds, what my bite looks like now and what it will look like after surgery. He also had a quick look at my x-rays and he said that that i would definately be getting just a lower advancement and that my chin was perfect the way it is, not needing anything done to it. these were my questions that i asked and his answered, shortened a little.

  1. I grind my teeth when i sleep, will that be a problem?
    he said that after surgery my muscles will be pretty weak, therefore it is not going to affect anything post surgery, he also said that i could be grinding my teeth due to my bad bite, my jaw my be grinding my teeth in order to get a better fit, so the surgery could also help this.
  2. what kind of diet will i have?
    I will be on a diet of liquid, puree, and mush, he suad eggs was really good for the first 2 weeks and then if all goes well i will be able to begin chewing soft things such as fish, and meats that have a lot of gravy, vegetable and so on, this is good because i may be able to eat some things on Christmas dayy :)
  3. brushing my teeth after surgery?
    he said that i should brush like normal, he will give me a bag of stuff for after surgery, he did say that i wont be able to open my mouth much which would make it difficult to brush behind my teeth, although with the diet i will be on he said that it wouldn't be much of an issue.
  4. how long will the surgery last?
    1.5 to 2 hours

4 comments:

  1. Sarah ... Wow 2 days to go! Can I ask who your surgeon is and how found them? I don't know where to start and I live in Sydney also.

    Thanks!

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Knoww, it is so freaking close!! and only now am i starting to get a little nervous.
    I actually live in Melbourne, so I don't think I'll be much help. although there are a lot of good surgeons in Australia so just look around :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. It's such a fine art and I just don't know how to find the "best" guy. I mean it's mm's. Did you just go with someone your orthodontist recommended?

    Good luck. I look forward to hearing more. It's good of you to put this out there as often max fax is the right outcome vis a vis braces and / or PS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did end up using the surgeon my ortho referred me to, and the bonus of that it that they have already worked together and that gives comfort in knowing that my ortho definately trusts him to have done
    multiple patients with him. and He is really great so hopefully the outcome is great too.
    thank you, I will definately try my best to keep a constant update.
    all the best for finding a good surgeon and your future surgery :)

    ReplyDelete