Thursday, December 22, 2011

DAY 7 POST OP

Today was a busy day, i had the surgeon at 10 in the morning which meant that i had to wake up an 2 hours earlier in order to have a breakfast, which take wayyyyy too long. at the surgeons he had a look at my teeth and felt around my face to make sure it was symmetrical, he said all was good besides the considerable difference in swelling, but he said that was due to the fact that he had started in the right side meaning that that wound was open for longer. He took my elastics off and told me to open and shut my mouth and said that i now had a text book occlusion, it was the weirdest feeling having them off it was like getting braces off, and i thought to myself this is how my teeth ACTUALLY fit together on their own, it actually felt amazing. He then put the elastics back on but instead of 6 he put on 4, and he made sure that i was able to open my mouth with them on because he wants me to start introducing more soft foods to my diet, I keep getting this tension/pulling feeling in my chin, and it causes a really sharp pain, so he made sure the elastics didn't cause much pain. He then talked to me about food, how i long for food, and he said that i would usually start introducing soft foods to my diet 2 weeks after surgery but he said that since Christmas is coming up i can try some fish and mashed foods on Christmas. He also said that now that i can open my mouth a little i can try some more soft/solid things as long as i can swallow it whole. I wen t home and my jaw feels a bit weird, it keeps spontaneously moving forward which is quite painful, or ill swallow and ill get a sharp pain and then notice that my bottom teeth are in front of my top teeth. The surgeon said that people with overbites get this sometimes due to the way its done before surgery, but it still worries and pains me. I later had an appointment at the orthodontist, the surgeon said that he though the ortho would change the elastics again, but he just looked at everything and said it looked good and gave me a few packet of elastics and said that in a week could begin taking them off to eat. So i went home and made scrambled eggs as this is all i wanted on my liquid diet, and was very disappointed when i couldn't manage to eat, I just couldn't manage to keep it in my mouth properly, and it wasnt cooked right so i was i bit upset when i got more in my braces that in my stomach. My jaw kept playing up, and being tired from doing more in 1 day than i have in 6 days, coupled with my disappointing attempt to have eggs, i had a bit of a breakdown and cried for about half an hour. Anyone heading toward 7 days where they feel really good and want to do things like normal, build up to it! you are still healing and you are still recovering and although you feel normal your body is still hard at work to make new bone. You dont want to push yourself to hard and end up taking a few steps back like i did, i felt like i did on day 3 when i wanted to give up, so rest up and enjoy being able to use it as an excuse to do nothing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment