Wednesday, December 28, 2011

14 DAYS POST OP

So it has now been 2 weeks, and i am starting to feel normal again, which is quite nice. I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!! :) The last week has had its ups and downs. My jaw is still shooting forward although I have sort of gotten used to it, and i just put it back to where its supposed to be and its all fine, the pain that comes with it is less intense and it is now less frequent. Days 8,9 and 10 were all pretty good I stayed on my liquid diet although started trying some thicker liquids as the elastics began stretching and I could manage it, there was minimal pain on day 8 although i started getting a bit of pain on days 9 and 10 so I started taking the pain meds again which caused me to sleep alot, which I didn't really like. Then it was day 11 and Christmas!! I really love Christmas and more so I LOVE Christmas lunch, I don't really care for anything else on Christmas I just really love Christmas lunch with my family, sooo you can imagine how upset I was to be missing what was a particularly good christmas lunch. But my family have promised to do me a belated Christmas lunch in 2 months hahah. I spoke, laughed and ate (I was allowed to have some fish and mash potato as long as i didnt chew) more than I had in the earlier days which led to me being in a bit of discomfort and by the end of the night I was experiencing a bit of nausea, im pretty sure it was due to the liquid paracetamol the taste alone makes me feel a little sick. So I was feeling a little depressed and tierd, I kind of lost the Christmas spirit by the end of the day as I was kind of missing out on the best of christmas. I went to bed feeling pretty sorry for my self, and ontop of that I felt a little useless as my mum was worrying about me straining myself so was getting everyone else to do things. She got a little surprised on christmas eve when she saw my wrist as it is still quite bruised from the needle that they put in when I was asleep, and I can definately see why they did that when i was asleep as it looks like it would hurt.
I woke up on Boxing day, still feeling a bit down, I didn't want to get out of bed, and I didn't till about 12. although my family went out for boxing day sales and while they were out my mum asked me to set up her Ipod, and even though this sounds a little silly it made me feel some what useful, and my mood improved a little. My family came home and I continued to feel a little better, although throughout the day I had not eaten, and I was really hungry, and its strange what you eat when you are hungry, so my mum blended me some turkey and gravy, this sounded disgusting the next day and the left overs went to the dog, although at the time it was amazing. Day 13 I woke up feeling really good, my swelling was almost gone and one of my friends came to visit so that was nice. It was funny because she thought I was quite swollen, I then showed her a picture of me on the second day and she decided that I now looked reallllllyyy good haha. Now to today, today was pretty good, although I experienced a little difficulty this morning, today is the day that the orthodontist said that it would be okay to take my elastics off to eat and so on, so I decided to take them off to brush my teeth in the morning as I was dying to give them a good wash, I did this although still cant get my back molars. I had trouble getting them back on, I have two triangles on each side and the back triangle goes on the last bottom molar, and since my gums are still a little inflamed it was difficult to get it on, I then saw a little blood coming from the stitches, it was the tiniest amount but it made me freak out as I was a little shocked being 2 weeks post op. I eventually used some tweezers that I sterilized in hot water(although im not sure how efficient) but I needed two fingers but couldn't fit them in. Although I think that this freak out must have caused me to hurt my jaw a little, because I found that I couldn't open my mouth as much and that I experienced a jabbing pain in the joint when I did open it, so i couldn't really attempt to chew for dinner, and i didn't really want to push it too much, so I just kept with mash potato again. But i'll give it another go tomorrow. One thing that I didn't know would happen after surgery is that once the surgen removed some of the elastics and my jaw was a little more independent is that it would shoot forward when I sneeze, as it really cant stay where it is against the strength of the sneeze, as the muscles are still pretty weak. As for swelling that is almost gone, I'm feeling pretty normal, although there is still a bit of swelling under my chin, so i'm yet too really see what my chin is like. Today my swelling on my right side flared up a little, and this is the side that I was experiencing the pain when opening my mouth. Bruising got worse on days 8,9 and 10, although it has gone down alot, and besides two small circles on the bottom of each cheek there is no bruising. I still have numbness on half my lip an chin that hasn't really changes although I have had a burning sensation around the edges of the numbness, it feels like I have gotten really bad sunburn on this one section of my face, this has caused quite a bit of discomfort. One thing that I have started taking is Iron supplements, which also has vitamin C, the Iron was suggested by my surgeon and my mum has been making sure I take it as she was worried because I looked quite pale. I no longer really drool, the only time that I do is during my sleep, which is really annoying, I've tried sleeping on a towel but this always gets lost during my sleep. bruising late last week:
Elastic arrangment - this gets changed mid january:
You can see the swelling a little better in this picture:
Profile - still a little swollen under my chin:

2 comments:

  1. Sarah - are you taking Bromelain? This really helps with swelling although your swelling is going down nice and steady. I'm finding that the remaining 10% that I have is staying constant and will probably take awhile to resolve. I hope the Bromelain helps! I've been taking it since Day 7.

    Stitches - I'm too afraid to even look in my mouth but my surgeon said all of mine have dissolved except for the nots he tied. Are yours dissolvable?

    I know what you mean about Christmas lunch. The food is the best part, and spending time with family around the table creating memories! This year was definitely the pits haha but I like your family's idea of having a belated Christmas dinner when you're all nice and healed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been taking bromelein, but I read it on your blog and it appears to be working well for you, so I'll definately have to have a look into it. my knots have been coming out when I rinse and I'm pretty sure the rest has disolved. I love the idea of a belated Christmas, I seriously cannot wait, my mum made the most amazing turkey this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete