Friday, December 16, 2011

RECAP OF SURGERY DAY AND ONE DAY POST OP

so i'll etarts at the begining.... I arrived at the hospital at 12:30, only to wait an hour and a half to actually get the pre op prepeperation started and it was the longest hour and a half of my life. I was eventuallu called up and taken into a room where I was asked a bunch of questions and a nurse took my blood pressure and pulse rate, she then put numbing cream on the back of my hand and the inside of my arm. She then gave me a robe to change into and I was walked to the waiting room, eventually another nurse came and I said goodbye to my mum and I was taken to another room, which is when i really started freaking out, i was almost in tears and although i thought i held it together pretty well, i'm pretty sure the surgeon could tell because my eyes where a bit red. Then the anaesthesiologist came in and placed the iv needle in, and marked where he would put another needle I can't remember what it was called but he said that it would be placed when I was asleep as it can be quite uncomfortable. I was then left for about 5 minutes and wheeled into the operating room, where I jumped onto the operating table. I was given oxygen which made me feel like the room was spinning, and I then remeber the anaesthesiologist telling me that he would be giving me the anesthetisier to which I was then asleep within minutes. The next thing I know I'm in the recovery room, and there were a few nurses around me as my pulse was racing a bit, after a while It calmed down and although I was still a little out of it I remember my mum and family friend coming in to see me and then bieng wheeled into my own room, where I spent a while sleeping, after a bit I properly woke up and I got up to go to the bathroom. My mum left at about 8 and I went back to sleep and was woken about 10:30 to have my bloods pressure and heart rate to be checked, upon waking up I was in a bit of pain and they gave me some liquid paracetamol, and I went back to sleep i then woke up at around 2, where they checked on me again, this time I was in quite abit of pain and almost all of the numbness that I was had worn off, the only part that is still numb is my bottom lip and chin. the nurse that I had got me some stronger pain killers, morphine, and that allowed me to sleep to the morning.

At 6:30am I was woken up and checked on, he checked how much morphine I had used and after that my parents turned up and kept me company. The surgeon came in to check on me, and said that the surgery had gone well, that the jaw surgery had actually taken less time then the wisdom teeth removal, he told me to try to have something to eat and came back a few hours later, I'm pretty sure that he had another surgery in this time, he then came back at about 11 and checked how I was going, he loosened the elastics a little and was a little surprised at how much swelling I had on my right side. But he said that there shouldnt bee much more swelling then what I had, he got me sone ice to help bring it down and said that I could leave when I was ready. I left about 45 minutes later. Once I got home I went to bed and had a rest, this first day was definately quite hard, I was figuring out how to talk, drink, eat and take my medication with the swelling and elastics, I still experience a bit of pain when eating and taking medication. My medication is in pill form so I have to try and force my mouth open, to fit the pills in, that causes the most pain. I contintued to use constant ice while at home and that bought my swelling down a bit and helped with the pain I was experiencing.
just a quick tip for anyone who is about to go through with this remember lip balm as your lips become quite sore and dry from the constant rubbing and lack of moisture.

sorry for the really long post, I kind of Left everything after surgery, I have been very tierd and work out, it takes alot out of you but I'm now on day 2 post op and I'm feeling much better after a good nights rest.

and sorry for spelling mistakes I'm on my phone, I'll fix it up once I get the computer in working :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sarah!

    My surgery is over a year away but its good to read successful stories like yours! :)

    I look forward to following your process

    All the best

    Hara x

    ReplyDelete