Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DAY 5 POST OP

Today things continues to look up, I didn't really experience pain today, besides the of ache here and there. I decided to try opening my mouth a little more because the surgeon said that the elastics should stretch and loosen after a few days, although this resulted in a sharp pain in my lower jaw with every attempt so I've decided not to push it and just wait for my appointment on Wednesday, but I have been able to open my mouth about 1mm. I'm still having trouble taking medication, another capsule got stuck in my teeth today which causes me to freak out and try to pry my teeth open to get it in. My swelling has continued to go down but the bruising has definately come up and has become very obvious. My neck has become very sore but I don't think it has to do directly with the surgery, I'm not really sure why I have it but I think it could be due to muscles asjusting to the new jaw position and also because I can't open my mouth so when I cough (which has been often) I have to hold back which would be causing the muscles to sieze up. two things that I have found a bit annoying and a bit gross is the drooling that I don't notice untill too late, this has only really started today, and bieng unable to brush the back of my teeth and tounge, I feel so dirty because I usually spend a good 10 minutes brushing my teeth. So all up I am feeling pretty good, and feel a sense of normality returning :)

2 comments:

  1. Sarah - thanks for posting on my blog about your experience. I'm glad to know someone else out there who has recently gone through this who can share their experience with me. I am hopeful the pain will dissipate over the next few days as it did for you. It seems Day 3 was your worst day and that's where I'm headed into tomorrow morning around 11:30. I look forward to being over the hump.

    I notice your surgeon has kept you in elastics. Mine took them out today in my first post op apt. I'm a bit worried because my lower jaw just hangs open and I don't know what he thinks of my bite or if it's properly aligned. I feel like I still have an overjet more than normal but it could be the splint I'm wearing. I haven't really tried to force my teeth together. Are you wearing a splint? Do you know how much movement you had? Your lower jaw appears to be similar to mine. I was advanced 10 mm on the lower jaw and 3 mm upper impaction (and brought forward 1 mm). I opted not to do the genioplasty for now although right now I am starting to regret it because I have no chin. I do know swelling can make that look worse so I will need to wait a good month probably before assessing that decision and whether I still want to do it later.

    And no need to apologize for rambling - ha apparently I do it too!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. day 3was definately the hardest, I felt like giving up, although the swelling has gone down and things have gotten a million times easier, and it is so much more bearable. I have my first post op appointment tomorrow where he should take me from six elastics to two or three, but I would trust your surgeon and make sure to ask him, but I'm sure he knows what he is doing. My surgeon always uses elastics but he doesn't use splints, so every surgeon does things differently. The reason that I have so many elastics is because I had a deep bite so when my jaw was moved forward my back teeth didn't touch and the elastics will close that gap.
    It is so hard to know what your chin looks like with the swelling, I was really worried about having a big chin, but right now I have the biggest double chin with swelling so it's impossible to tell! it's a tad annoying. and I'm not sure how much movement I had, but I'm really curious so I'm going to ask tomorow.
    haha I ramble so bad, I plan on 1 maybe 2 lines and it ends up an essay

    ReplyDelete